This is a simple, versatile and comforting dish!
800 g cooked white turkey meat roughly chopped or torn
Handful of roughly chopped or torn ham
2 kg leeks chopped into chunks
½ bunch fresh thyme leaves
2 Sprigs of Sage
2 Tablespoons plain flour
2 pints turkey, chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
2. Put ham in a pan on a medium heat and add in the thyme leaves.
3. Add Butter to the pan and let it all fry off a few minutes.
4. Add in the leeks and fry them off for about 3 minutes.
5. Add a pinch of salt and pepper then put the lid on top, turn the heat down to medium and let the ingredients simmer gently for 30 minutes, stirring every 5 to 10 minutes.
6. When the leeks are soft and ready, add in the turkey meat to them and stir. Add the flour, mix it in well then pour in your stock and stir again. Add the crème fraîche then turn the heat up and bring everything back up to the boil.
7. At this stage taste the ingredients and add some more salt and pepper if the dish requires it & then turn the heat off.
8. Pour the mixture through a sieve over another large empty pan and let the gravy from the mixture drip into the pan
8. For the mash topping: Put potatoes into a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add water until potatoes are covered. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes, or until done - a fork can easily be poked through them.Warm cream and melt butter, together, either in microwave or in a pan on the stove. Drain water from potatoes & put into a bowl. Add cream and melted butter. Use potato masher to mash potatoes until well mashed. Use a strong spoon to beat further, adding milk to achieve the consistency you desire. (Do not over-beat or your potatoes will get gluey.) Finally add Salt and pepper to taste.
9. Spoon that thick leek mixture from your sieve into the pie dish and spread it out evenly. Lay the mash on top on top of the ingredients.
10. Pop the pie in the oven for about 35 to 40 minutes or until the mash is golden brown.
11. When the pie is ready, re-heat the gravy and serve with your pie, along with green salad or alternatively some peas tossed in butter, lemon, salt and pepper.
Wishing you all Happy Cooking!