The Hayfield Family Collection recognises the importance the protection of the environment plays in the sustainable development of tourism and is committed to a sustainable future and to improving the social, economic and environmental well-being of the community. Through our actions we hope to inspire others to adopt practices that reduces energy usage and waste in order to create a cleaner, safer place to live and work. We aim to do this through the implementation of the highest standards of environmental practice resulting in an environmentally friendly organisation.
At Hayfield Manor, we run our hotel with careful consideration. We have an increasing focus on environment – and we ensure this by having a sustainable consciousness across the hotel, the restaurant and our surroundings. We aim to be a leader as a sustainable establishment and to do so, we have implemented several initiatives including;
- Energy Conservation: We are currently working on a project to update the hotel with energy saving LED lighting. All of our newly refurbished bedrooms have be retrofitted with LED lighting. This has led to use reducing our electrical consumption by 540227 kwh so far since this change.
- Hayfield Manor are active members of Repak and are continuously working on our recycling and waste management systems. Repak is a not-for-profit packaging recycling scheme funded by contributions from over 3,000 participating Member companies. Since 1997, Irish businesses have invested over €425 million through Repak to support packaging recycling in Ireland and, with our Members, Repak has helped to grow packaging recycling and recovery from under 15% in 1997 to an estimated 93% in 2018. Repak funds the recovery and recycling of packaging waste collected by Repak-approved ‘Registered Recovery Operators’, who are waste management companies and Local Authorities that provide waste management services to the commercial and domestic sectors. We have eight streams of waste at Hayfield Manor; Glass, Recycling, Paint, Batteries, Candles, Food, Electronics and General.
- Food Preparation & Menu Selection– We have an emphasis on reducing food waste and our Executive Head Chef Mark Staples sources local ingredients wherever possible to reduce carbon footprint. We also encourage deliveries to be made in removable containers.
- We measure our Carbon Impact using the Hotel Carbon Measurement Initiative (HCMI), a methodology and tool that enables us to measure and report on carbon emissions in a consistent way.
- The Beautique Spa use Vegware cups which are made from sustainably-sourced paper and lied with plant-based PLA.
- Where possible we use eco-friendly cleaning products throughout the hotel.
- We have taken active steps to reduce plastic, in particular we have removed water bottles from Concierge, Reception and the Spa and replaced with water dispensers. We hope to remove plastic water bottles completely from the hotel by 2020.
- We have introduced paper straws and bamboo swizzle sticks in our Bar & Restaurants.
- We are working on minimising the printing of brochures and are sourcing eco-friendly gift and marketing products. We have also introduced an electronic sign up to our databases for consumer shows as an alternative to paper sign ups.
We realise that our actions have reactions and we aim to collectively act responsibly and contribute to the sustainable development of the neighbourhoods in which our hotel operates.
Hayfield Manor Hotel commits itself to compliance with environmental legislation, regulations, standards and codes of practice applicable to the industry in which it operates and will direct its business to suppliers and contractors who have a commitment to similar environmental values and objectives.
Through communication and training, our employees and contractors will be encouraged and assisted to enhance their awareness of the impact that each and every one of us have upon fragile environment in which we co-exist.